Refer to the calendar at the bottom to find a course near you
Be a Hike Leader! It’s often been said that enjoying a hike is increased by the presence of a leader. Not just someone who knows the way, but someone who applies safety, best practices, fun, local knowledge and the ability to work with his or her group to make a successful outing.
But without leaders, who can you follow? If you’re not a leader, how can others find the way? Take the next step in your hiking progress and become a leader. Hike Ontario’s base certification program takes you in 1 day from hiker to leader, ready to bring great outings to fellow hikers and inspiring them to join you as a Certified Hike Leader.
Hike Ontario member clubs often hold ‘in house’ certification opportunities with Hike Ontario’s instructors and Hike Ontario offers Spring and Fall public certification opportunities for individuals not associated with a Hike Ontario club but looking for certification. Join us.
DETAILS: Certified Hike Leader (CHL)
1) Introduce participants to the standards of a trained hike leader, instruction, and risk management for Day Hikes where the hike is no more than 2 km from road access.
2) Provide direction towards the Wilderness Day Hike Leader, and Wilderness Trip Hike Leader programs and other Hike Ontario programs.
Format: Much of the emphasis is instructional but, as a certification program, a significant portion of the agenda is assessment and skills evaluation. The certification issued to the successful candidates is a sanctioned standard and will assist the candidates in leading club hikes, and finding work in Provincial Parks, Youth Camps, Scouts and Guides.
- Demonstrate good physical fitness and the ability to move confidently and efficiently when traveling on trail.
- Present a positive and commanding attitude on safety when leading a group.
- Demonstrate a high standard of leadership and route finding.
- Show ability to establish effective communication with regard to the hiker’s safety, comfort, and enjoyment.
- Demonstrate a respect and care for the environment.
- Have a proper standard of equipment as required for day hiking trips.
Prerequisites: To be eligible to take this course and, thereby become a Certified Hike Leader, students must have completed the Safe Hiker Program OR have demonstrated a level of hiking competence and experience, including having completed a minimum of five (5) day hikes in the past 2 years.
Course Topics: Risk Management, Leadership, Trail Guides, Maps, Outdoor Techniques, Environmental Appreciation, Hike Planning.
Examination: Methods of assessment include requiring the participants to model and demonstrate the appropriate actions of a hike leader.
Duration: 7 hours.
Please see our public schedule below for upcoming courses, or we can set up a private course for your organization (minimum 6 participants).
INSTRUCTORS: To set up a course, Click HERE.
Want to become an official Hike Ontario instructor? Find out more here!
If you don't see a course near you right now, join our waiting list and we will alert you to courses in your area.