Refer to the calendar at the bottom to find a course near you
DETAILS: Wilderness Day Hike Leader Certification (WDHL)
1) Introduce participants to the standards of a trained wilderness hike leader, risk management for Wilderness Day Hikes where the hike is more than 2 km from road access.
2) Provide direction towards the Wilderness Overnight Trip Hike Leader and National Hike Leader programs and other Hike Ontario programs.
Much of the emphasis is instructional but, as a certification program, a significant portion of the agenda is assessment and skills evaluation. The certification issued to the successful candidate is a sanctioned standard and will assist the candidates in leading Wilderness hikes for clubs and youth groups, and finding work in the hiking and adventure travel industry.
- Demonstrate superior physical fitness and the ability to move confidently and efficiently when traveling on wilderness trails.
- Present an positive and commanding attitude on safety when leading a group.
- Demonstrate a high of standard leadership and route finding.
- Show ability to establish effective communication with regard to the hiker’s safety, comfort, and enjoyment.
- Have a proper standard of equipment as required for wilderness hiking trips.
To be eligible to take this course and, thereby become a Wilderness Day Hike Leader, participants must have completed:
- Hike Ontario Certified Hike Leader course
- have participated in a minimum of five (5) WILDERNESS day hikes (more than 2 km from road access)
- verify that they have lead 5 hikes as a CHL hike leader
- present a letter of reference and/or recommendation from a recognized authority, (i.e. a certified Hike Leader, a teacher, a hiking club, etc.)
- have current Standard First Aid and CPR certificates (Wilderness First Aid Recommended).
Required Text: The Backpacker's Field Manual, by Rick Curtis (LINK)
Course Topics: Outdoor skills, Search and Rescue, Map reading and compass work, building shelters, survival techniques, water filtering, review of Standard Course.
Examination: Methods of assessment requires the participants to model and demonstrate the appropriate actions of a wilderness hike leader.
Duration: 7 hours.
INSTRUCTORS: To set up a course, Click HERE.
Want to become an official Hike Ontario instructor? Find out more here!
If you don't see a course near you right now, join our waiting list and we will alert you to courses in your area.